Session 5: Talent Development and Coaching
October 5 & 6, 2020
2 pm – 4 pm
Registration fee: $100
Local government agencies are in a war for talent and we’re losing the war. We can no longer “poach” talent; we must grow our own within our organizations. Talented employees tend to stay with an agency as long as they’re engaged, energized and valued. So how do we keep our employees and teams engaged, energized, feeling valued and connected? This is especially important in today’s world in which our work teams are no longer working side by side in the work environment. And as budgets are being slashed, we are dealing with the emotional responses to layoffs, furloughs, and salary reductions.
This session will use articles, large and small group discussions, individual and small group exercises to:
- Explore the connections between performance management and employee engagement;
- Gain insight into the differences between performance coaching and performance improvement/development coaching;
- Learn the premises of development conversations;
- Gain skills in conducting a performance coaching conversation with an employee; and
- Get tips on conducting difficult conversations and preparing for and giving feedback.
- Pamela Miller, MMCA Institute Director, Miller Management & Consulting Group
- Wandzia Rose, CIC, Rose Consulting
- Stephanie Smith, MMC, City Clerk, City of Murrieta
You must register and pay before receiving your Zoom session invitation. All participants must have video capability and be able to fully participate from their location. Certificates of completion will be provided only to those who successfully complete the learning assessment AND have fully participated in the four hours of session time.
There is a 3% credit card processing fee which is non-refundable. Registration closes Friday, September 25, 2020 at 4:00 p.m. No late registrations will be accepted. Space is limited to 48 participants. Cancellations must be received in writing before Monday, September 28, 2020 at 12:00 p.m. in order for refunds to be provided. Any cancellations received after that date will not receive a refund. No credits are given. Priority will be given to CA Clerks working to attain the Master Municipal Clerk or Certified Clerk of the Board designation.