Session 6: Supporting Our Elected Officials in Times of Calm and Crisis
October 14 & 15, 2020
2 pm – 4 pm
Registration fee: $100
Elected officials operate in a different realm than administration. So how do we know what they need, and how to best support them? Newly elected officials have very different support needs than our more tenured council and board members. Additionally, what is required of us to support them in “normal” times, or times of calm, is very different than while in the midst of a crisis. To further complicate things, different types of crises may require different kinds of support. So how do you untangle all of it to make sure you’re giving the right support to the right elected officials?
This very unique session will explore how to effectively support new and tenured elected officials in times of calm and crisis from several perspectives. We will have two very special guests – two City Council Members from the City of Riverside (one new and one tenured), along with three veterans in supporting elected officials.
In this session, we will:
- Deepen our understanding of the differences between the two worlds of policy makers and administration;
- Hear directly from two elected officials with differing perspectives on support needs, both in times of calm and in crisis;
- Explore what it means to effectively support our council and board members (including tips from our two guest Council Members);
- Learn strategies to communicate more effectively (with honesty and tact) with our elected officials; and
- Through real case studies, gain skills in providing effective support.
- Pamela Miller, MMCA Institute Director, Miller Management & Consulting Group
- Colleen Nicol, MMC, City Clerk, City of Riverside
- Patrice Olds, MMC, City Clerk, City of San Mateo
- Special guests:Council Members Ronaldo Fierro and Jim Perry, City of Riverside
You must register and pay before receiving your Zoom session invitation. All participants must have video capability and be able to fully participate from their location. Certificates of completion will be provided only to those who successfully complete the learning assessment AND have fully participated in the four hours of session time.
There is a 3% credit card processing fee which is non-refundable. Registration closes Friday, October 2, 2020 at 4:00 p.m. No late registrations will be accepted. Space is limited to 48 participants. Cancellations must be received in writing before Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 12:00 p.m. in order for refunds to be provided. Any cancellations received after that date will not receive a refund. No credits are given. Priority will be given to CA Clerks working to attain the Master Municipal Clerk or Certified Clerk of the Board designation.